What areas of a home are the most important to clean in a home? As a carpet cleaning expert here in the Twin Cities, I recommend cleaning all carpet at least once a year. However, some areas may need more attention. These areas include:
- Stairs take a heavy beating because we slide our feet over the nose of the stairs as we walk down and kick them as we walk up.
- Halls wear out quickly because we have only a narrow width on which our feet can walk, forcing us to concentrate all of our steps on a single stretch of carpet. Also, we make turns at the same specific points as we pivot to enter rooms.
- Path from main living space to kitchen or bathroom.
- Because we travel to the kitchen and bathroom every single day, this path becomes routine.
- Especially if you live in a climate that requires sand and salt to be spread on the roads, areas where people enter your home can be one of the most soiled areas of all. I recommend taking your shoes off at the door. Even so, these areas tend to receive the most soil.
- Around beds and in front of sofas
- Any time I move a bed or sofa, I see a matted area of carpet that is worn out from people getting up and down off of the furniture.
If you can’t afford to clean all of your carpet, make sure these areas are cleaned and protected at least once a year. Said areas might require more than once a year, depending on the number of residents and guests you have in your home.