What is a residential carpet cleaning company? What are the differences between a residential carpet cleaning company and a commercial carpet cleaning company? What are some of the problems that come up when hiring a residential carpet cleaning company?
- Carpet cleaning started in the residential districts and residential carpet cleaning continues to be the lion’s share of the carpet cleaning industry. The reason for this is that the profit margin on each job is much higher in residential carpet cleaning.
- By training salespeople to upsell in the home, split second decisions made under pressure can bring a residential company large dollars. Residential carpet cleaning companies usually pay very little for carpet cleaning; bonuses are instead given for add on sales. Residential carpet cleaners can make a very good living if they are trained heavily in sales. Budgets are already in place when businesses get cleaned, so training in sales are pointless to commercial carpet cleaning companies.
- Customers can be placed into large vague time frames to minimize driving time and waiting between jobs. By placing all of the jobs from Lakeville, Apple Valley, Eagan, and Rosemount Minnesota together, residential carpet cleaning companies can avoid gas costs.
Although this is inconvenient to the customer, it has been done this way for so long that most people accept it and take time off of work to get their carpets cleaned. Commercial businesses need to be cleaned when they need to be cleaned so these time frames are irrelevant in commercial carpet cleaning.
- Although commercial strength carpet cleaning equipment is better for cleaning residential carpets, it is not as necessary as this equipment is in restaurants, and trucking companies, etc. Therefore this expensive equipment is usually not considered as cost effective for residential carpet cleaning companies.
- Advertising is key for residential carpet cleaning companies. Formula’s such as X amount of dollars spent on advertising equals a similar amount of customers received from the advertising and the profit comes from the up selling done once in the home.
Commercial clients don’t usually to find their carpet cleaners through advertising. Businesses tend to find their vendors through networking and referrals. Because of this commercial carpet cleaning companies don’t tend to spend as much money on advertising and instead focus on quality and repeat business.
- Large corporate franchises are the driving force in the residential carpet cleaning industry. What these franchises lack in quality control, they make up for in advertising dollars. I am not currently aware of any commercial carpet cleaning franchises. I am only aware of independent family owned companies in the area of commercial carpet cleaning. Family owned independent companies tend to deliver higher quality because the owners are “present” and often maintain the ideals they were raised with. If your profit comes from advertising, then you will focus your resources toward advertising. If your profit comes from upselling, your focus will be on sales. However if your profit comes from repeat business, then your focus will be on the hiring, training, and maintaining of career professional employees. This is where commercial carpet cleaners stand apart.