How many times have you driven by your neighbor’s house and seen a white van parked in the driveway covered in rust with hoses running into the front door of the house? After seeing that beat up old van, your first inclination was probably not, “I should get their phone number so I can have them clean my carpet”.
This is because your subconscious makes certain assumptions when you see a poorly maintained van;
- If the van looks that old, the equipment is probably out of date as well.
- If they haven’t taken good care of their van, do they take good care of the equipment?
- If they can’t afford a new van, can they afford capable employees?
- If they don’t take pride in their appearance, do they care about generating positive word of mouth?
- They don’t look like they care at all!
- Are they too cheap to do a great job?
The truth is that one or more of these assumptions is probably correct. If you want people to take you seriously as a capable and educated professional, you cannot let your first impression be a rusted out van. A sharp, crisp, clean van lets people know that you take pride in being the best professional carpet cleaning company you can be. After all, your van is a moving billboard.