When should I have my carpets cleaned at my home? Good question. If you ask any random person on the street you will get a full range of answers from every month to never. Who is right? I have been cleaning carpet in the Twin Cities Area of Minnesota for over 13 years and I wish I could give one blanket answer for all customers, but I can’t. I can however, do the next best thing. I have created a list of options based on different factors that affect that timeline. These are specific to the Twin Cities Area of Minnesota and may not apply to the climate and practices of other states.
- Residential carpet should never go longer than a year without being cleaned for health reasons such as allergens, and mold.
- Light carpet such as white or off white, even light shades of other colors has more room in the dye sites to take on dyes and needs to be cleaned and protected more often than other carpets and should be cleaned before traffic areas are visible for best results. Fiber damage and traffic wear patterns show up more noticeably on light colored carpet. For light colored carpet, we recommend every 6 months to a year.
- If you wear your shoes on residential carpet we recommend cleaning and protecting every 6 months at the very least.
- If you have residential carpet that is a darker color you are more susceptible to the carpet looking lighter in the high traffic areas than looking darker. This comes from actual fiber damage. Dark carpet should be cleaned once a year for health reasons but if based strictly on looks you can go from a year to up to 2 years depending on the amount of traffic.
- Even dark carpet needs to be cleaned at least every 6 months if shoes are worn in the house as that speeds up the fiber damage in high traffic areas considerably.
- Wheel chairs and walkers are very hard on carpet. This carpet should be cleaned and protected every 6 months at the very least.
- Variables such as amount of foot traffic, spills, and age of the owners can affect the frequency of the carpet cleaning as well. Not every household is the same.
- One reason for all carpet to be cleaned and protected as well is the sun itself. The sun’s rays will fade carpet color. Carpet protectants help protect the carpet from this. This fading is usually noticeable when the furniture is moved. The area where the furniture sat didn’t receive any sunlight and appears darker and richer as a result.
Please keep in mind that this is based on my 13 years of experience as a carpet cleaning expert in the Twin Cities Area of Minnesota. Experience has also taught me that there will always be exceptions to these rules and people should keep an eye on their carpet and if it starts to appear dirty or dingy before the recommended time of cleaning then the safe choice is to have it cleaned and protected sooner rather than waiting for the scheduled date to come up.