The air is very dry and cold in winter and makes the perfect environment for static electricity to strike. You can walk across your carpet and reach for something made of metal and get a static shock. If you come inside from the cold and remove your hat and your hair stands up straight it’s due to a positive charge of static electricity. Static electricity is the buildup of electric charge on the surface of objects like your shoes or your hair.
One of the most common tips to remove static electricity is to increase the moisture in the air with a humidifier. Here are some other great tips:
- Touch something with a quick, solid grasp. Larger points of contact allow the charge to transfer with less current at any single point, reducing the chance for a painful shock.
- Synthetic fibers such as polyester carry more static so try switching to natural fiber clothing such as cotton.
- Shoes usually collect the most static so try walking barefoot on your carpet or wear leather soled shoes.
- Avoid sliding your feet; the friction between your feet and the floor will build up a static charge in your body.
- Try touching metal objects with the back of your hand or fore arm first to discharge the static. This is not as painful as touching things with your fingertips, which is more painful because your fingers contain more nerves.
- Using hand lotion will put more moisture on your skin and may help cut down on static zaps when you touch objects.
- If you get zapped every time you get out of your car try rubbing a fabric softener sheet on your car seat.
- When petting your pet, first try a firm solid touch on its back to discharge the static without a shock.
Have some static electricity fun by rubbing a balloon in your hair for 15 seconds and sticking it on a wall. Try brushing your hair in the dark and you can watch sparks fly from your hair. Taking your wool sweater off in the dark can also provide an interesting spark light show.
If we can help you with your carpet in anyway please call Commercial Steam Team at 952-224-7222